Students: Want to be a sportswriter?

If YOU would like to be a sports reporter or photographer, contact David Boldt at boldt27@gmail.com or another member of the SCISL News staff!

May 20, 2012

Open Forum


Farewell to the Santa Cruz Interscholastic Sports League

     Reviewing our coverage of the break-up of the Santa Cruz Interscholastic Sports League, we realized that there was one constituency that hadn’t been heard from – students, and particularly student-athletes. We asked for comments, both face-to-face and by e-mail, and we got some. But we will be glad to have more. Just send them to David Boldt (boldt27@gmail.com) or Trevor Reed (mktrevor@gmail.com).  We reserve the right to condense comments, and to edit them to meet journalistic standards.  – The Editors.  


      Andre Larsen, senior, Christian Learning, another outstanding performer in all four sports, said, “"Due to cultural differences and lack of communication and integrity, this great league that taught us the importance of perseverance has come to an end."

          Hyun Kim, a Cooperative junior, track standout, and captain-elect of the soccer team for the coming year, wrote: “I don't feel competent enough to point fingers or blame anyone, nor is that my intention . . . . Taking my own conclusions, it is blatantly obvious that SCCS and SCIS is withdrawing from the league for other motives than "fear." I congratulate Cambridge's (boys basketball) teams for their performance in the finals, both Varsity and Junior Varsity. In addition, SCCS's soccer squad still remembers that 3-2 defeat by Cambridge in the 2009 championship final.

      “But we also have enjoyable memories.  We have memories of soccer games where, if someone just showed up and looked at the scoreboard, he or she might have thought it was table-tennis.  (11-1, 10-1, etc). If anything, I thought Cambridge would be scared of us. In fact, we joyfully awaited that first game of the League -- home against Cambridge as usual -- where we could display dominance, just as Cambridge did in basketball this year.

      “Furthermore, I fully respect both SCIS and SCCS athletic directors for not specifying the incidents that triggered the break-up in the meeting. I think it is better to call it to an end peacefully.  I find the part, about "differences between Latinos and Gringos" very interesting. To justify the withdrawal of the two schools because of ethnic or racial differences is plain wrong. Sports, at least at the high school level, are played for the opposite reasons . . . . It is precisely to set aside the racial, ethnic, and socio-economic differences and play in unison to achieve great things, not the other way around.

     Many times, Coach (and high school principal Nicolaas) Mostert has instructed us to not make fun or play in a scornfully manner, and to respect our rivals. At SCCS, we are taught to lose with dignity, something we haven't always achieved, as in that 3-2 defeat by Cambridge.  (Yes I admit it). However, learning from mistakes is another crucial aspect about competitive sports.

      Today is a sad day for all student athletes of all four schools. Whether the league is reunited or not is not under my control and if the league doesn't work out, I am certain that SCCS student-athletes will courageously take any other challenge the school proposes, perhaps a different league with other schools.

 
       Valeria LaTorre Vilar, a Cambridge senior who played soccer, volleyball and track, said, “When it was announced that Cooperative and International had decided to leave the league, I was shocked. I refused to believe that the League was breaking up; I had really been looking forward to the volleyball and soccer season.

      “Soon after the announcement, I read the article from the blog to find out more about it. One of the things that stood out to me was the comment about how Cambridge had beaten International by a 100-point margin (in basketball) and then didn’t apologize. What came to mind then were the several soccer games when we lost dismally to Cooperative – ten goals difference and with a celebration of each one. Cambridge never complained about “sportsmanship” in such cases because we were there to play the game, purely because we enjoy playing the sport.
        
    Cambridge had a good new star (in basketball) this year, and showed notable improvements from the previous “slacker” reputation we had built up as a result of  organizational  problems in the past (missing I.D’s, or uniform problems)  This year it can be said that we were exceptionally responsible with the formalities.

    As for the comparison between gringos and Latinos, I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt, but if true it was out of line. What kind of message is that comment sending out to the school’s students?

       Cami Johnson, International Class of 2011, who starred at both Cambridge and, later, at International in soccer and basketball, commented on Facebook regarding the League break-up, “!Que barbaridad!” She later wrote to add, "I was very surprised when I saw that the league was no longer going to exist, and sad because many of my school memories where gained throughout the years playing in the league. But the only thing that makes me even sadder is the fact that the new coming young athletes won’t have the same opportunity as we have had. I have seen in the school I graduated from how the younger generations were always so positive and keen about the fact that they would eventually participate in the league. The basketball team for SCIS was majority middle school students.
      
       "I still have hope that this will not be the end of the SCISL. But if it has reached to an end I would like to congratulate all four schools for their performances throughout the leagues existence. The Jaguars, Eagles, Knights and Griffins have all had triumphs that have been very well deserved.”

            Abby Phillips, Christian Learning junior, and all-around all-star with honors that include several track and field records, wrote, "Along with many other student-athletes, I was taken by surprise when I first heard of the break-up of the SCISL. Sports have always been a highlight of the school year for me and the League has served as a great way for students from all four schools to come together and compete. Sports aren’t just about winning; they’re about heart, attitude, and ability. I enjoy sports for fun, competition, and being able to set and achieve goals for myself. I have enjoyed competing against other athletes in the League and I have had the pleasure of getting to know some of them as well.


      " It is disappointing to see the League end and it brings doubt as to what will happen with sports next year and in the future. I do think, though, that after so many years of competition in the League between only four schools some tension has been created. With such a small league that has been active for so long, it is reasonably predictable which school will win which sport, and that takes out much of the excitement and anticipation that comes with competitive athletics. I admire the athletic directors who have realized that it may be time for the schools in the league to seek a new direction.


     "Instead of looking at the SCISL disintegration as being a completely negative event, we could try looking at it in a positive light in that it could provide new opportunities and competition for the student-athletes. There is great athletic potential that has been displayed by numerous student-athletes in the League, and perhaps this is a step forward that will allow the student-athletes to compete at new levels and reach new heights in their athletic performances."

      Vanessa Flores, a Cambridge senior who starred in soccer and track, said, “When I first heard about the withdrawal of Cooperative and International Schools from the Interscholastic League I was amazed.  I didn’t really understand their reasons for doing so, and probably won’t.  The comparison that was made between the ethnicities of our schools was out of place; sports are supposed to bring people together because no matter where you go it’s the same game.

         “In twerms of sportsmanship, when a team wins, they win. In the past Cambridge never complained about losing a game, and, boy. have we lost some. It seems weird that now that we were stepping up the (two other teams) decide to leave. We will continue to participate in sports and to do our best, with whomever we compete against.”

           Milan Marinkovic, Cooperative senior, a star in all four League sports, wrote the following:   “I was not aware we had withdrawn from the league; this comes as a surprise to me. It hurts to see it end, it’s been a great part of my experience at SCCS, but I do support (Athletic Director Alvaro) Ludueña's decision. I feel like some lines were being crossed in what involves sportsmanship and values, two pillars that have always sustained the relationship between our schools. Today, I feel like the concept of these two pillars has been lost. Mr. Luduenñ has always looked out for the students of SCCS, All athletes in my school both respect and care for him . . . .

      “I also read about the remark supposedly made by (International Athletic Director) Eli Vilar, another coach I've had the pleasure of getting to know over the years. I do believe her comment is being twisted, After all, International harbors students from all over the world and to the best of my knowledge is the most inter-cultural of the four schools.

    “This decision surprises me, and I can't say it doesn't pain me. It probably does the same to the coaches who found themselves forced to take it. I hold great respect for both coaches Luduena and Vilar. I know they're actions are not unprovoked, and I ultimately trust their decision is in the interests of the student's general well-being.


          Joshua Mann, Christian Learning '08, basketball stand-out, wrote, "I played sports for several years within the SCISL league during my time at the Santa Cruz Christian Learning Center.  The league, with its devotion to sportsmanship and good fun, fostered a relationship between our school and other similar schools in the area.  Through playing sports, I met friends in other schools and learned to overlook our differences for more than just a sports game.  When I learned that the league was closing, I shook my head.  What a tragedy.  That grown adults and coaches cannot seem to manage the same level of mutual  respect and inter-school teamwork that they expect from the students in the league seems to me ridiculous. Perhaps it is in the schools' best interest to pursue different venues to play competitive sports.  Perhaps it is best to throw in the towel and walk away from the ring, shaking our heads and muttering that "some things will never change".  Perhaps our differences are indeed to great and an agreement cannot be reached.  Perhaps that is the legacy we want to leave behind us, the example we want to leave for the students watching.  So be it.  I only hope that we can manage to have some respect for each other as we begin our different paths."  

-Joshua Mann 


      Lisa Delboy, a Cambridge senior who has played volleyball and other sports, said, “When I got told that Cooperative and International were leaving the league I was pretty surprised and of course I wondered why. I was appalled by their decision and found their reasons more like pitiful excuses. Cambridge has never injured anyone and we have always played fair even though we´ve had a handful of players injured at the games. So those fair play arguments don´t seem valid to me. Their other excuses were in no way true either. Maybe clearer statements would clear up everyone´s ideas, because as of now it´s all still quite foggy.”

     Bekah Kienzle, Christian Learning freshman, who was expected to be4 a key factor in her team's challenge for the basketball championship next year, wrote,   “Seeing the sports league split up after so many years is very sad. I would have never expected it. I only hope that there won't be any bitter feelings between the schools and that maybe in the future we can compete again as friends. Thanks to Cooperative, International and Cambridge for your friendship through all these years. I hope to see you all again.”    


      Ana Peredo, Cooperative senior, valedictorian, and star player in soccer, basketball, and volleyball, wrote with, among other things, some kind words about the website. “I had no idea that SCCS wasn´t part of the League. I think that Mr. Ludueña doesn´t have the right to be making a decision like that. Something I, as an athlete looked forward to was getting back home to read the game comments on the League website because I thought that it was the only recognition I had each game, even if my name was barely mentioned, I believe it was some sort of a challenge I gave myself: make them write more about me the next time. This means that the reviews made me try even harder.

       “Also, my parents never had the chance to go to my games because both work a lot and don´t have time so the reviews were a way for them to know what happened. Almost after every game I would show them what the game comments were and then they would give me their comments.What I´m trying to get at here is that I believe this League website gave me, and my team the certain joy the school doesn´t give us. especially when some sports lack fans and school spirit. Many of us used to post the articles on Facebook. These articles were the cheering of the fans we never heard. I would like to see our school get reintegrated into the website. I think the next generations of players to come would like that.” 
      
      Jose Aldano, a junior at Christian Learning recently arrived from Brazil who played soccer and basketball, said, “The recent secession of SCIS and COOP, causing the imminent break-up of the league, is extremely sad and disappointing. The Christian Learning team was looking forward to the upcoming season, but we still hope a consensus can be reached. Otherwise, I think the school should look for other options."

       Gabriel Alonso, a Cambridge sophomore who was regarded as the best defensive player on the basketball team, and also played soccer, volleyball, and track, said, ¨”Upon hearing the news of the League´s extinction I wasn´t that surprised. There had been some hints of discord during the season, and even over the years.  Compared to SCCS and SCIS, Cambridge had been looked upon as the irresponsible ones, and we always had some glitch when time came to present our teams to a match, but it was the love of playing that kept us going. At Cambridge we knew that we weren´t the best, but we still showed up and if we lost, well, we lost.

      “Our teams have always played fair and have never caused an injury, which I might point out is not the same for other teams. Athletes and coaches have to accept that sometimes they have to lose. Everyone plays to win, to do their best but losing is a part of sports. Comparing different cultures has nothing to do with it, it´s still the same sport and every player plays because they like to play and they want to do their best for their school.

      “As part of the basketball team, I can understand how our coach may seem on the outside, but I do think he was actually subdued this season and those were some harsh accusations -- especially since there are some other people who are worth mentioning in regard to `aggressive attitudes.’

      “I am sad to see the League end. It has been a great part of my experience at Cambridge over the years. However Cambridge players will have to find other competitors to play with, because it´s playing that we care about.”

       Sofia Sotelo, Cooperative senior, salutatorian, and star in all four sports, felt her school needs to look for new fields to conquer. “I am shocked with the news, but I also think that the sports teams in SCCS would have the potential to become more skilled if there was more challenging competition. If SCCS remains in the league, the girls' soccer team will continue beating the other teams.  The league is no longer competitive, at least for the girls.

     “There is no incentive for the girls teams in SCCS to be more disciplined or practice more because we know we will win. If the other teams in the league would put a little more effort and energy into the games, playing against them would be more interesting and more people would come to watch the games. But year after year our teams become better and the other teams become worse.

       “Regarding (Cambridge basketball coach) Victor Coronado, I have witnessed his bad sportsmanship for the last seven years and even if there is no longer fake documentation (and other irregularities), his negative attitude in the court and field is still the same. I do believe Ludueña should look for other teams to play against, teams who are better prepared and that challenge SCCS teams. At least the girls' teams.

             Chiemi Tanaka, Cambridge senior and volleyball player, said, “It´s regrettable that a sports league that was founded for the sake of the students has gone awry due to disagreements between the adults. One wonders if they even took into account what the athletes and student bodies think.

      “I can´t really say much about all the matters that were brought up, since words might have been twisted around or misinterpreted, but I do think that some comments were completely out of place. Whether they are true or not, what is the point of pointing out ethnic differences between international schools with students of different nationalities.

        “To imply that a school is inferior because of its students’ ethnic backgrounds seems a perfect example of the kind of the things that should be suppressed in such a League. If this is how some people see it, then it may just be a healthy step for Cambridge to distance itself from such ways of thought.”

      Jonathan Reichsfeld, Cooperative’s 2011 valedictorian, now a student at the University of Pennsylvania, wrote, “I have played tennis for twelve years and attended roughly ten nationals. I have seen ridiculous stuff going on, but what I just read sounds stupid.

       “First, it's utterly disrespectful that Ludueña and Vilar accused the Cambridge's team 9th grade all-star. If he's good, let him be and encourage him to be better. Tough luck, not everyone can win and if that kid is much better than the other players, no one should be able to complain about that. It just defeats the purpose of the sport. Second, trying to win games by pointing out irregularities on the uniforms? I think that is just nonsense. Kids are there to play. They don't get bonuses if they win.

        “I think that (International athletic director Vilar's use of the terms "gringo" and "Latino" is derogatory and harmful to the school.  I don't know what it is about Cooperative and sports. For some reason, we can't get a stable league. There is always something wrong. One starts to think that there is something in Cooperative that repels other schools.”


      Marlon Castillo, Cambridge senior, soccer and volleyball player, "I think the matter of the situation goes beyond whether it’s surprising or just, I think it’s about negligence on behalf of the coordinator of all our schools to make such an important decision forgetting to take into account what we, the ones who actually participated in the league, would want.We put time and effort into our training and we do it in hope to improve our skills every year, and did so with clarity because we knew who we were up against .  It was truly lamentable to see such a strong motivation taken away from us, and this may just turn a spirited and enthusiastic team into unmotivated athletes.

       "I believe that through the years I’ve participated in the league there were never such issues as apologizing for winning with big margins, which was seen every year by the SCCS girls soccer team, which has always been the best and very enthusiastic about rubbing it in, or by SCIS in volleyball. Thiese things were normal, every team knows their game level and what they’re aiming for. If it doesn’t go well what is left to do is to improve.

       "This past basketball season it was SCIS’s teams and SCCS’s boys basketball that faltered for several reasons which they know better than anyone else. But it’s not about the poor results; it’s about having self- appreciation and taking the responsibility for doing your best, and to know that it’s not about winning and making the losers feel bad. In a way, I see a fault in those who forgot to teach how to act and be worthy of representing your school whatever the outcome. You win some and you gotta lose some.

      "About the uncalled for comment on the difference between gringos and latinos I will only say that  if there is anything I’m sure of it is that I will never be embarrassed or ashamed of who I am and where I come from I would just like the ones who made the decision to end the league to know that athletes like myself feel that something has been taken away from us and has caused great discouragement and disappointment."

     Wesley Ordoñez, sophomore goalie from Christian Learning commented, "Whether we won or lost, playing in the league was extremely fun. Sports were always something to look forward to when facing the stress of school. I hope there will be a new league created to help divert some of the stress from classes."


       Karen Kofler, Cambridge 2009, basketball and  volleyball star:  “It’s gloomy to know that the league got to a point where our cultural differences was the only excuse they had. The league was very important during my school life. It provided wonderful memories.The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of determination. This league was HUGE, not only because of the actions of the coaches and administrators. The students were the ones who really built that League.".   

        Mariel Palacios, Cambridge junior and volleyball player, said, “When the news of the league´s disintegration was announced at the school, I think I can speak for everyone in saying we were surprised. I was personally looking forward to volleyball season. Though it is a sad thing, I didn´t see it as a very big deal until I read the reasons that were given when Cooperative and International announced they were withdrawing from the League.

      “Taking part in sports is all about playing the game, there are rules and standards of course, but sometimes disputing over what ball to play with just seems plain out silly to me it sounded like small things were made to sound much worse than they should be.

      “The Latinos and gringo comparison came across as offensive and I think people were actually hurt by it. It was a low blow.  Besides what kind of message is that kind of comment sending out?  If an authority figure focuses on ethnic differences, then so will the students, and as international schools such as well all profess to be, that goes against the grain. All in all, I´m just sad to see it end, and to be portrayed as the bad guys in the story.” 


      Sammy Frith, Christian Learning ninth grader, up and coming soccer and basketball player, wrote, “When the news first came to me that the sports league was breaking up, I was worried. I loved playing in the league and representing my school, and at first I was worried that there would be no more sports league for me to play in. I had high expectations for the next few years, and it would be hard to get any kind of sports scholarship for university without a league to play in. However, so long as we do have a sports league to compete in next year, no matter who the teams may be, I'm happy.”